Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Digital Literacy and Me



I had a good deal of fun creating this podcast of my digital autobiography. First, there was a need to step back and reflect on the moments in my life that defined my growth as a cyber-citizen. Then, I had to go around and collect images to help tell the tale. I can't begin to describe how cool it was to dig up my old websites on the Wayback Machine at archive.org. I then relied on sites and tricks that I picked up along the way to finish off the research - like visiting ccmixter to download an appropriate song. I really enjoy making videos and playing around with iMovie to help familiarize myself with it. I'm getting pretty impressed with how quickly I can put things together now. The messy detail work and fine tuning can be tedious, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. In the end, I think I've come up with a strong creative presentation that I am quite proud of. I look forward to sharing it with my online community and getting the feedback.

Ultimately, this is another step in building and enhancing one's transliteracy skills. The confidence gained here helps encourage me to take on more similar projects.

2 comments:

  1. Great video, Jonathan. I admire the confidence with which you've approached it all! I'd forgotten about Wayback Machine. I peeked back at a few things, and it was a good reminder of how far web design has come in a few years. It's amazing how many sites used to have things like "entry portals" with gimmicky doors, etc. that you had to click through to get to the meat of the matter. I think it took a few years for developers to overcome their awe at the power of the tool and to become user-focused in their design practices. Anyway, thanks for an entertaining video and for reminding me about Wayback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan. Your reflection about bringing community together and contributing to the discussion is a place I need to get to yet. I have hesitated about making my video public although a colleague thinks I should. You are right that this project has been about building confidence and skills and it has been heartening to realize there are a few of us who have felt this way.

    ReplyDelete