Monday, April 9, 2012

Week 13: Review and Conclusions


Week 13: Review and Conclusions
Narratives can be published in various online ways: 
  • Voicethreads
  • Skype
  • Blogs
  • Wikis
  • Social Bookmarks/Folksonomy
  • Diigo
  • Evernote
  • Flickr
  • Netvibes
  • Twitter
  • E-mail
  • Google Pages
  • Facebook
Anyone Can Publish
A timely example of how even the youngest learners can demonstrate transliteracy (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/3-little-pigs/id357980333?mt=8). Henry Dewey created his own illustrations to interpret “The Three Little Pigs” and then with the assistance of his father, created an iPhone app for people to read his version of the story, which includes Henry’s narration of the tale.
Henry Dewey is a typical 8-year-old. He loves to build with Legos and annoy his little sister, hoping to someday own a reptile to terrorize her with.
The first-grader at Trinity Episcopal School in Rollingwood is also doing some nontraditional things: Henry just released his first iPhone application, an e-book version of the folk tale “The Three Little Pigs.”
Using pen and ink, Henry spent the entire fall semester creating the illustrations for his book during an after-school art program at Trinity.
“I like being creative, making bobbleheads on paper,” Henry said.
Early in the process, he decided he wanted to transform his project into an iPhone application to provide more options on the gadget for children.
He told his father, Mark Dewey — himself an iPhone application developer — about his idea. When Henry finished the illustrations, the drawings were converted into a digital format. Then his dad helped turn the project into the application, rewriting the story and having Henry narrate it.
“At a young age to know you can be a creator, in the mainstream of American culture, that can be powerful,” said Mark Dewey, whose digital media company, Geoki, published the app. “We hope that carries on through his growing and his life.”

1 comment:

  1. It seems strange that while this course helped me to cross a line with regard to my fear of technology, it has also confirmed that at least for the foreseeable future, print will continue to be an important medium. I feel I have developed a sense of balance around this tension between ‘old’ and ‘new’ media.

    While I have increased my digital communication skills to some degree, this course has really opened my eyes to just how much the publishing world has changed. While the digital fiction I was exposed to was not my ‘cup of tea’, I can see its appeal and believe that this form of creativity will grow.

    The concept of transliteracy has really resonated with me – it is making me rethink my final research project for MACT. I was talking this evening with a group of faculty about this course and what I have learned and the comment was made that it may not be possible to be truly transliterate as the number of platforms may be so great. One teacher commented, for instance, that he was surprised at the number of students who did not know ‘excel’ although he felt that it would be a basic transliteracy skill. As a group of people who have all worked in corporate communications prior to teaching, we also understood the basic tenant that you choose the medium that best fits your target and message. Our students are graduating into a world where the choice of media has expanded exponentially and the need to increase their transliteracy skills is a daunting task!

    As with other MACT courses, I have learned so much from my classmates and I appreciate what you have contributed to this course. I will miss reading the postings from this class. Thank you Jess and to everyone.

    ReplyDelete