Saturday, April 7, 2012

Assignment 3 - Transliteracy, Time, Etc.,



It's a little ironic that a trans-illiterate like me -- I bring a basic inability to read, write and interact across a range of platforms, tools and media, or, at least, I can't trying to do so hit a deadline -- tried to use the lens of  transliteracy to see an aspect of my final project a little more clearly.

There is a section of Eliot's Little Gidding that has never left me. That's not because I understand it, but, rather, because I, as a communications student,  would like to.

And what the dead had no speech for, when living,
They can tell you, being dead: the communication
Of the dead is tongued with fire beyond the language of the living.



This point of intersection across time where communication happens has always attracted me. And, so, it was a bit of water in the desert when I started reading that transliteracy is "not just about computer-based materials, but about all communication types across time and culture" (Thomas et al., December 2007, p. 3). 


I admit that I am taking from the concept of transliteracy only what I can understand, and, perhaps, am warping it for my purposes, but I believe that the intersection of time past and time present is what my final project (the Duckett Cookie Monster episode) is all about.


References
CTV News Edmonton. November 19, 2010. "Stephen Duckett's Cookie Exchange with Edmonton media." YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DxeCK5Ne_Q

Lessig, L. 2008. Remix: Making art and commerce thrive in the hybrid economy. New York: The Penguin Press.


Thomas, S., Joseph, C., Laccetti, J., Mason, B., Mills, S., Perril, S., & Pullinger, K. December 2007. Transliteracy: Crossing divides. In First Monday 12 (3), pp. 1-18. 






2 comments:

  1. Very entertaining Glenn, I like how you circle back it to back to transliteracy. I wonder too, if to some extent, one of the unintended consequences of transliteracy and both the recording and remixing of digital work is that we run the risk of never, ever being off. I remember back in the day that when I said something I regretted - it was just my own "personal hair-shirt" that played it back over and over again (in my mind). Not quite true these days... digital media and transliteracy allow that gaff to become pretty central...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You triggered a transgenerational notation for me - perhaps we transilliterates have a role to play in giving the next generation feedstock. It's a comfortable role - I'm used to being a multi-channel ATM for my children - sometimes it's food being dispensed, sometimes it's what I think is wisdom, and of course, money... but it's also 70s rock and 80s shoulder pads :)

    ReplyDelete